3.17.2010

Mini Marvels - TheEye


It's Mini-Marvel time! Well, many of you are prolly going it's about time! :)

A few months ago, I came across a thread way down in the bowls of the ETC. Forum and the people there were so welcoming that I quickly felt at home...:) Theeye is one of those people. Like her compatriots, she's super sweet and she's also an extremely talented Photographer. I always love coming across Canadian talent and I did in spades with this lovely lady.

I asked her to share a little bit about her perspectives and here's the wonderful things she shared:

Seeing Art in Everything

When Shannon asked me if I would like to be featured on her blog, I thought about what I wanted to share with her readers. I had no guideline to go by, or questions to answer, she just said, talk about whatever you want. So… we’re talking about seeing art everywhere.

Have you ever had somebody say, "Wow, you really have quite an eye for that" ….. I get this comment quite often and I mostly don't understand why. I suppose I think everyone sees things visually the same way I do. This must not be the case, however, as I have shot birds, bugs, flowers, skies and endless other images and upon sharing them with people, comments range from "you gave it a personality" ... "it's so ugly, but you made it look cute" .... "I wouldn't have photographed that in a million years" ... “I would hang that on my wall!” or "I didn't even notice that...."

That last one is probably my favorite. Maybe that's the secret? I notice things. Little things. Often when I watch movies, I'm so caught up in looking at the background, set and the surroundings, that I am not paying attention to the movie at all. Movies in my house must be watched at least twice for that very reason. It’s not that I don’t pay attention. I just pay attention to something other than the story.

Here’s an example of what I mean. A photo of a poppy out in the yard. A simple red flower, a little top heavy... swaying with the wind ... just an average shot, right? Before scrolling down any further, allow the imagination aspect of your organized brain to take control for a sec. Do you really see a poppy?


This particular time, what I saw was not a poppy...an ordinary summer flower ...what I 'saw' was a fish. A flowy goldfishy-koi type of fish.

Poppy Fish

It wasn't that my mind was purposely trying to envision something else, this gorgeous fish is just what appeared to my mind's eye as the images were uploading onto my computer screen ..... Then it was just a matter of applying the right Photoshop skills, so I could share that vision with you. Now any time you see JUST a poppy in the yard:


… someone else might be seeing the beautiful flowing fins of some exotic fish.

Poppy Fish 2

*****

The same principle applies with a lot of my digital photography. I can basically compose what I want my image baseline to be:


And then thru some skills and techniques in Photoshop, I can put into print what my imagination was envisioning:

Pink & Burgundy

Or perhaps I snap this photo...


But in my mind, I’m seeing this finished piece of art...

Dandelion

I'm not talking about seeing the Virgin Mary in a slice of toast, or Michael Jackson's face in a reflection of a cloud, (that would be cool though), but you might just surprise yourself with what is right in front of you.

If you open up that creative channel your brain, the one that lets you daydream freely, your right brain, your inner eye, third eye, your imagination...whatever name you give it, maybe you'll start 'seeing' poppy fish out in the yard, too. They're out there... you'll see. Literally.

Ellen


I hope you see the little things in her amazing work like I do!

13 comments:

photomcgee on March 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM said...

What a fantastic, interesting article! Great etsy talent.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful article. I love the way she sees things and it's inspiring me to look at things differently! She's fantastic!

TheEye on March 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM said...

thank you again for featuring me on your Mini Marvels series! so exciting :)

PhotoGrunt on March 17, 2010 at 11:47 AM said...

Great article, Ellen! I love the way you've got that "free association" thing going on, just letting whatever your eye sees float to the top, then grab it and make it your own. A true artist!

First Light Photography on March 17, 2010 at 11:50 AM said...

How wonderful to be so appreciated in the great blog! I've always thought Ellen to be one of the greatest talents with her camera. Congrats to you!

Art2ArtColorado on March 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM said...

*i love it!
excellent article and i couldn't have said it any better.

*the eyes are the windows for the soul of art.

theeye has not only great creative vision but such a unique & beautiful style in her work... it caught my undivided attention the first time and i've been smitten ever since.

TheEye on March 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM said...

gosh...you guys are so nice

MmeMagpie on March 17, 2010 at 7:55 PM said...

I saw the fish right off! I love the way you see things.

jamfiescreations1 on March 18, 2010 at 2:05 AM said...

What amazing photos.

Pam Lefcourt on March 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM said...

What a great article by a very talented lady!

TheEye on March 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM said...

Just wanted to come back and thank you again Shannon and reading all the comments was fun :)

Gifted Designs on March 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM said...

You're very welcome Ellen!

kanishk on April 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM said...

interesting article! Great etsy talent.
free internet jobs

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Gifted Designs Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template