7.12.2009

Flooding Part Deux

Hi again gang,

Well, it seems my flooding situation isn't going to be as cut and dry (ha ha) as I thought it would be.

Why do people always put money over other people's health?

It was explained to me by the cleaning company I contacted that because the water went under the floorboards and under the bathroom, it is very likely that the apartment is now contaminated and mold is likely. Also, the water was not clean water...so there could be bacteria and other nasty things under the floors.

Despite being explained this, my landlord chose to do the bare minimum...basically, a disinfectant spray was sprayed, humidifiers that purify the air and remove as much water as possible were brought in and then everyone went home. They didn't even get to clean the floors of the crap that had gotten stuck on them. How in heaven am I supposed to believe that my apartment is now sanitary when there is still dust, crap and who knows what else stuck to my floors? Oh, did I forget to mention there's still brown goup on and in my toilet? But I'm supposed to believe it's all clean and I can move back in???

I am now being forced to move forward and try and get my landlord to do the work he should be doing to ensure the health of his tenants as he's actually obliged to do based on the lease. I have been forced to abandon my apartment and so he'll be sent a letter stating such and asking him to contact me within a specified amount of days to discuss the true clean-up of my place...if he refuses to do anything else, I will have to go through the Rental Board to force his hand. I am not risking my health or the health of my girls just because this will cost him money. Had he fixed what the Insurance told him to fix in the first place the first time the apartments flooded over 5 years ago (before I moved in), he wouldn't be having to pay out of pocket to begin with.

Needless to say, I am stressed, slightly depressed, feeing displaced and am missing my gals something aweful. I have not been able to create or do much of anything seeing as I have been able to bring very little with me and I don't have much room. As grateful as I am to my brother and his dad for putting me up, I really miss my own personal space...:(

Wish me luck in all of this. I'm not a confrontational person and so this is a big thing for me.

Hope everything is great with all of you!

1 comments:

Sherri on July 17, 2009 at 12:12 PM said...

That is so horrible! Stand up for yourself! ((big hugs)) You can do it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Gifted Designs Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template